BREAKING: UMN partners with state patrol on campus safety

The Minnesota State Patrol will start patrolling areas surrounding the University of Minnesota campus to assist the University of Minnesota Police Department and the Minneapolis Police Department.
Image by Maia Irvin
The University is also hiring more community safety officers, expanding the Gopher Chauffeur service and implementing additional street lights and cameras.

Gov. Tim Walz and University of Minnesota President Joan Gabel announced at a press conference on Wednesday a new public safety partnership between the Minnesota State Patrol and the University. 

The state patrol will be patrolling areas around the University campus as students start to come back to campus for the fall semester. 

“Troopers will be visible in their squad cars this week to enhance the work being done by the U of M campus police and the Minneapolis Police Department,” Colonel Matt Langer, chief of the Minnesota State Patrol, said at the press conference. 

Walz said collaborative partnerships like this one will help provide a good education experience for University students. 

“As students head back to campus, we want them to focus on having fun and getting the best possible education, not concern for their personal safety,” Walz said at the press conference. 

In addition to the partnership, the University is hiring more community safety officers, expanding the Gopher Chauffeur service and implementing additional street lights and cameras, Gabel said at the press conference. 

University of Minnesota Police Department Chief Matt Clark also emphasized the importance of safety education for students and said they should pay attention to their surroundings and look out for each other.