Dallas Sims and Mauricio Hinds: a well-traveled brotherhood

The Canadian-born star pair of Sims and Hinds are headed north from Clearwater to play football at Minnesota.
Image by Photo courtesy of Dallas Sims
Mauricio Hinds (left) and Dallas Sims (center) with teammate Dillano Glaud (right).

The Minnesota Gophers currently hold possession of college football’s 29th-best 2024 recruiting class. Two members of their recruiting class hail from the same high school in Florida.

Dallas Sims and Mauricio Hinds, both born and raised in Canada, play football for Clearwater Academy International (CAI) in Florida.

The two currently live together in the same house with “host parents” who both teach at the school. Hinds and Sims have formed a special bond during their time living together that goes beyond football.

“For the first eight months I was here, we did that every night just hanging out in his room, and so we got really close,” Hinds said in an interview published on YouTube. “That’s my guy, man, like that’s my brother like you form a bond with all the guys in your house.”

The friendship evolved into a brotherhood through countless hours spent together both on and off the field. Sims shared the same sentiment talking about how, after the first two months together, it felt like they had been brothers for two years.

Hinds started playing organized football during his freshman year in Philadelphia. After his first semester, he decided the school was the wrong place for him and elected to transfer.

The change prompted Hinds to weigh his options once again, and he decided to attend CAI, which he calls the best decision he has ever made.

One of the biggest factors in his decision was the quality of work CAI puts into player development. CAI Head Coach, Jesse Chinchar, was impressed with the strides he has taken to improve his game.

“I think it’s a testament to his coachability and work ethic … One of the easiest kids to work with that we’ve ever had,” Chinchar said.

Chinchar added Hinds is “extremely athletic” and has an “uncommon” ability to run and play in space, qualities that helped expedite his development.

Chinchar previously coached another talented Canadian, defensive back Rhyland Kelly, who committed to Minnesota back in 2022.

The Gophers originally sent wide receivers coach Matt Simon to Florida on a recruiting trip surrounding Sims. During his time in Clearwater, Simon asked Sims about other players on his team, leading Sims to give him Hinds’ name.

“Yeah, Coach Simon, my positional coach, asked me what players stand out on my team,” Sims said. “Mauricio and I are very similar, so I knew the coaching staff at Minnesota would love him and what he brings to the game.”

Hinds remembers Simon being at practice and recalled putting together two good weeks of practice, which ultimately led to an offer to play football at Minnesota.

The two teammates are currently preparing for the season and Sims is poised for an exceptional year. Chinchar believes, with what he has seen this offseason, Sims has taken his game to another level.

“His work ethic and leadership have continued to grow this offseason, and I think it’s going to pay off in a big way,” said Chinchar. “His football IQ is starting to grow, and you can see him seeing the game and understanding defenses and how to run routes against different looks, and knowing what to expect. It’s really elevated his game and ability to get open.”

These two Minnesota recruits are looking to make a splash in their final season at Clearwater Academy International.

The pair traveled the country going on college visits together and ended up deciding on Minnesota over South Florida, Arizona, Florida and Washington.

Sims and Hinds arrived at Clearwater as individuals looking for an opportunity to play high school football.

“I’ve been working on basically everything,” Sims said about his preparation for his senior year at Clearwater. “I don’t just try to train one [skill] every time I train. I try to train everything, from physical training to mental training.”