Opinion: Everyone needs a feminine presence in their lives

More women need to recognize the value of strong feminine connections.
Image by Wejdan al Balushi
Uplifting women should be more of a priority on campus.

I’m incredibly fortunate to say I’ve been surrounded by strong women all my life. Whether it be my mom, grandma, aunts or friends, they’ve never failed to leave me in sheer awe at their ability to overcome adversity.

Looking back at my chaotic and challenging college career, I can’t help but smile at the thought of all the laughs, cries and late nights I’ve shared with the women I’ve met along the way.

I’d go so far as to say I wouldn’t have successfully made it through college without the gentle guidance and unconditional love that so many women have provided me with.

Cora Goodwin, a second-year student at the University of Minnesota, defines “sisterhood” as a deep spiritual and personal connection with other females that intellectually stimulates one another.

In regards to her relationships with other women, Goodwin said she feels a special connection to the nurturing women in her life who have helped her become a more thoughtful individual across all of her relationships with others.

“I feel like women know how to take care of each other and they’re very emotionally intelligent, at least all the women in my life,” Goodwin said. “I feel like they’ve definitely made me more of a considerate person.”

Thoughtfulness and emotional intelligence are prevalent characteristics in my female friends and family members, as well.

A pivotal moment in my life that showed me how unconditional and supportive my female relationships are was the end of my long-term relationship.

I was a blubbering mess, ugly crying every five minutes with no desire to get off my living room couch. But, my friends have stuck by my side throughout the entire healing process, making me more confident and empowered than I’d ever felt.

Madelyn Bergien, a third-year student at the University, said she had a similar experience when she and her long-term boyfriend broke up and her friends quickly rallied to her side. 

She came home one day to her roommates cooking her soup, sharing a slideshow presentation about all the reasons they love her and expressing their unconditional support for her.

Bergien said all of her friendships, regardless of gender, are incredibly valuable and important, but her strong female connections have played a crucial part in shaping her into the person she is today.

“I have learned more than I can imagine from my female friendships,” Bergien said. “If I need anything I 100% know that I can call them and that they’re there for me.”

While all different types of relationships are influential and meaningful, all women (cisgender, transgender, etc) and feminine-presenting people must have a safe space on campus to cultivate and celebrate these important feminine relationships.

In regards to the safe spaces and opportunities for women on campus, there is always more that could be done to improve the overall experience for this population.

“I think there are definitely a lot of organizations that are focused towards women [on campus],” Goodwin said. “The communities are definitely there for people who want them, maybe just the advertising of these groups isn’t great.”

Bergien said more work can always be done to expand the opportunities for feminine inclusion on campus, especially for mental health services impacting women and feminine-presenting people.

One aspect of mental health services Bergien believes is beneficial for the campus community is the Aurora Center. The center provides a helpline and additional services for people who experienced sexual assault and domestic violence.

Aurora Center helps all students overcome these difficult experiences, regardless of gender. This is just one resource available to anyone on campus looking for support.

Goodwin said several organizations for women in STEM and multicultural groups encourage women to join and connect with one another.

When it comes to encouraging young women and feminine presenting people to make meaningful connections with one another upon entering their college years, Goodwin and Bergien have some advice.

“Loyalty is very underrated. Stand by someone,” Bergien said. “Like really, really stand behind someone.” 

She learned how important loyalty is when she began building important college relationships, especially with the women she has befriended.

Goodwin said to not be afraid to put yourself out there. She said some of her most valued female friendships started by simply sharing deep-rooted parts of her identity.

Feminine energy is a wonderful thing that should be more outwardly celebrated in professional and academic settings.

I hope to see more woman-celebrating spaces on campus and I encourage everyone to participate in the celebration of femininity.