BREAKING: Gophers running back Trey Potts expected to miss remainder of 2021 season

P.J. Fleck opened his weekly press conference saying that he doesn’t expect Potts to play the rest of the year.
Image by Brad Rempel- Gopher Athletics
Redshirt sophomore Tey Potts carries the ball during a game against the University of Miami-Ohio on Staurday, Sept. 11, 2021, at Huntington Bank Staduim in Minneapolis, Minn.

The injury bug continues to hit the Gophers’ running back group. Head coach P.J. Fleck opened his press conference Monday saying that he doesn’t respect redshirt-sophomore running back Trey Potts to return in 2021.

“Do I expect them to play the rest of the year? No. And I’m not going to get into the extent of his injury, just like our other players, that’s up for him and his family to be able to talk about,” Fleck said.

Potts exited the Gophers week five contest with Purdue and was immediately rushed to a local hospital. The extent or specifics of his injury have not been released, but he would not get discharged from the hospital until Oct. 8, six days after the game.

“He’s out of the hospital, he’s back in Minnesota and he’s back here. And you know it’s unfortunate what happened, and really scary what happened,” Fleck said. “But he exited in the fourth quarter, and was immediately observed by our medical team, who went through their proper steps and then obviously went to the tent and then went to the hospital and then they took them from there. But he is doing very well and again back in Minnesota.”

After longtime starter Mohamed Ibrahim underwent season-ending surgery earlier this season, Potts has stepped up in his absence. Leading the team with 552 rushing yards and six touchdowns, he has been one of the Gophers most effective players this season.

“We talk about these players as football players is one thing but when you’re talking about them as people, right, that’s what ultimately matters,” Fleck said. “So I appreciate everybody’s concern. I know him and his family do as well.”

The Gophers will now look to an in-experienced group to fill Potts’ role at the position. Talented freshman Bucky Irving will likely take on the biggest role, while redshirt-freshman Ky Thomas, redshirt junior Bryce Williams and redshirt sophomore Cam Wiley will all likely be involved.