Spring Jam’s 2022 lineup is out – but will University students go?

After a two-year hiatus, Spring Jam’s 2022 musical lineup has been released. But with a lack of notable names on the list, University students aren’t happy.
Lil Yachty performs at Spring Jam on Saturday, April 21, 2018 in Minneapolis.
Image by Ellen Schmidt

It’s that time of year again, Gophers: finals are coming, hammocking season is right around the corner and the lineup for Spring Jam 2022 has been announced. Hallelujah!

After two years of “fun” virtual student events, the annual end-of-the-year carnival and concert celebration is returning, free and in-person to University of Minnesota students on Saturday, April 30 with a mixed lineup of local and nation-wide musical acts that have raised an important question – “Why should I go?”

From one of the University of Minnesota’s most followed meme accounts, @goldysjockstrap, to comments on the Student Union and Activity’s (SUA) Instagram post of the event, students at the University are raising concern about the lineup’s lack of notable musicians making an appearance at this year’s Jam. Many are wondering why the lineup didn’t include bigger acts after a two-year hiatus of the event.

“This is who’s headlining Spring Jam? Literally just two ex-frat boys trying to relive their glory days.” said @goldysjockstrap, a locally known meme account.

Nonetheless! We’ve got the lineup and some information about each artist.

TWINSICK

Made up of Twin Cities locals Alex Ingalls and Casey Schneider, TWINSICK is a DJ duo that has been making a name for themselves through their dance-worthy upbeat electronic dance music. Formed in 2019, the duo has caught attention from several worldwide DJs including The Chainsmokers and Tiësto, and their popular remixes and mashup hits have brought them to nightclubs and universities across the country.

Abhi The Nomad

From living and growing up in several countries across the world and gaining more than 40 million streams on Spotify alone, the funk-pop-R&B fusion artist known as Abhi The Nomad has been making a name for himself after releasing four albums, gaining national recognition from NPR and performing at several music festivals across the country.

Almost Monday

Almost Monday, which was formed in 2019, will be bringing their California-sunshiney indie tunes to the Midwest this Spring Jam. The San Diego trio made up of Dawson Daugherty, Cole Clisby and Luke Fabry accumulated over 30 million streams after releasing their 2020 debut EP, “don’t say you’re ordinary,” and the band is booked for several festival stops later this year including Summerfest and Bonnaroo.

Sophie Cates

Sophie Cates, the ‘70s-inspired indie act formally known as “Silver Sphere” is bringing her fairy-esque ambiance and bubblegum-pop songs to Spring Jam this year. Born in Los Angeles, the singer-songwriter released her first single “take it away” in 2018 while studying at Columbia College of Chicago, and has since released her debut album “yikes!” in 2019, accumulating over 15 million streams on Spotify.

Jany Green

Jany Green is the personification of happiness in musical form — his rap and song lyrics dance along to the wavy bass and electric guitar riffs playing in his songs. His lighthearted production and fun sound defy the idea of classification and creates the perfect soundtrack for summer. After releasing his single “Little” in 2020, Jany Green has reached over 13 million streams and 100 thousand views on YouTube, and has been a part of several nation-wide tours, including Walk the Moon’s 2021 Plane Tour.

Battle of the Bands

The annual Battle of the Bands has returned for the showdown of the four finalists on Spring Jam’s stage — the winner taking home gift certificates to local retailers, paid recording time in Radio K’s recording studio and a paid opening set at WAM-O-RAMA 2022. This year’s finalists are Freefol, Kids Ski Free, Party Foul and Room3.

Correction: A previous version of this story misstated when Almost Monday was formed. The error has since been corrected.

View Comments (1)