Office of Equity and Diversity gets new VP

The University of Minnesota recently hired Dr. Mercedes Ramírez Fernández as the new vice president for equity and diversity.
Ram%C3%ADrez+Fern%C3%A1ndez+was+previously+at+the+University+of+Rochester+where+she+implemented+an+office+of+equity+and+diversity.+
Image by Courtesy of the University of Minnesota
Ramírez Fernández was previously at the University of Rochester where she implemented an office of equity and diversity.

The University of Minnesota welcomed Dr. Mercedes Ramírez Fernández as the new vice president for equity and diversity at the beginning of the fall semester. 

Ramírez Fernández received a Bachelor of Arts degree in psychology at the University of Puerto Rico. From there, she earned a master’s degree in counseling at the University of Iowa and her doctorate in higher education management at the University of Pennsylvania in 2013.

Ramírez Fernández’s interests in human psychology and cultural identities have led her through several careers devoted to equity, diversity and inclusion across the country, she said.

Ramírez Fernández previously worked at the University of Rochester as the president of equity and inclusion and chief diversity officer, where she developed and implemented an office of equity and diversity, she said. 

Ramírez Fernández said her main reason for accepting the opportunity to work at the University was her love of the people and the unique commitment they have to the “openness to consider different answers” and “acknowledging the brutal truth,” she said. 

Tina Marisam, associate vice president for equity and diversity, and Vice President of Human Resources Kenneth Horstman said they look forward to working alongside Dr. Ramírez Fernández.

“Her experience and recognized leadership are tremendous assets that will help us advance equity, diversity and inclusion as vital and valued parts of our everyday work,” Horstman said.

Marisam said in an email to the Minnesota Daily they look forward to seeing the progress the University will make under Ramírez’s leadership. 

“Dr. Ramírez Fernández has deep knowledge of the equity and diversity field, top-notch strategic thinking skills and demonstrated passion and energy for the work,” Marisam said. “All of these qualities, as well as her great capacity for empathy and understanding, make her an excellent choice.”

Regent Darrin Rosha expressed his approval for Dr. Ramírez Fernández in this position but warned we should “be mindful of our growth in positions and in compensation in all areas.” 

The University’s increasing administrative board affects all students who graduate with immense student debt, especially students with diverse backgrounds, Rosha said. 

Rosha said he hopes Ramírez Fernández will “assess and coordinate the University’s diversity initiatives across the University to ensure we are both effective and efficient in those efforts.” 

Ramírez Fernández said “equity, inclusion, diversity and racial and social justice are like air” and it is important to have an office of equity and diversity to ensure students, faculty and staff achieve their aspirations. 

In her current position, Ramírez Fernández wants to ensure the University provides necessary resources and support for everyone on campus so they feel “seen, valued and affirmed.” 

Her main goal throughout her career has been and continues to be “how do we support people in their quest to become their best selves,” she said. 

View Comments (1)