Kennedy Klick suffers knee injury, announced out for season

Gophers women’s basketball announced freshman Kennedy Klick suffered a season-ending injury on Wednesday.
Williams Arena as seen on Monday, June 17, 2019.
Image by Tony Saunders

University of Minnesota women’s basketball head coach Dawn Plitzuweit announced Wednesday Kennedy Klick suffered a season-ending knee injury.

“This is incredibly tough news for Kennedy and for our entire team. We love Kennedy and we know that she will attack her rehab as she did her practice sessions thus far, with drive and tenacity,” Plitzuweit said. “We know that she will not only overcome this obstacle, but she will grow and thrive throughout this challenge.”

The freshman guard from Brooklyn Park, Minnesota had an impressive high school career. Klick averaged 12.3 points per game her senior year at Maple Grove High School and won a state title her freshman year at DeLaSalle High School.

“She’s very disruptive on the defensive end,” said her former high school coach, Mark Cook. “She sees the floor as well as anybody I’ve ever coached”

In an interview with Bally Sports North, high school teammate Jordan Ode talked about Klick and the talent she brings to the game.

“She’s going to push the ball to the floor and try to get transition buckets,” Ode said. “She’s great at finishing [and] great in the lane”

Klick decided to stay close to family and committed to the University under coach Lindsay Whalen in May 2022.

“I’ve always wanted to stay home,” Klick said. “It was always my dream to come here.”

In back-to-back years, incoming freshmen have experienced season-ending injuries during the offseason. Last year, redshirt freshman Nia Holloway had similar circumstances going into her first year.