Four star freshman Katie Borowicz set to join Gophers’ women’s basketball early

The struggling Gophers will have Borowicz as reinforcement as soon as Sunday.
Coach Lindsay Whalen prepares to blow the whistle during Gopher womens basketballs annual exhibition versus the mens scout team on Saturday, Oct. 20, 2018 at Williams Arena.
Image by Tony Saunders
Coach Lindsay Whalen prepares to blow the whistle during Gopher women’s basketball’s annual exhibition versus the men’s scout team on Saturday, Oct. 20, 2018 at Williams Arena.

ESPN’s No. 98-ranked player in the class of 2021, Katie Borowicz, has graduated from Roseau High School early and has chosen to enroll at the University of Minnesota for the upcoming spring semester, the University announced Saturday.

In her career with the Roseau High School Rams, Borowicz, a 5-foot-6 guard, was a three time all-state honoree. Last season as a junior, she averaged 31.3 points, 6.8 rebounds, 6.2 steals and 6.0 assists per game. She was a part of the varsity team since seventh grade, scoring over 2,000 points in her career and reaching 1,000 by her sophomore season.

Borowicz led Roseau to a state title in 2017, a runner-up finish the following season and a spot in the semifinals in 2019.

“I chose to enroll early because of the unique circumstances of this year,” Borowicz said in a statement. “Covid-19 has changed a lot of aspects of not only my life, but everyone’s lives. There were a lot of variables to consider but ultimately I knew it would give me the greatest chance to become a better basketball player.”

The Gophers current roster has plenty of talent at the guard position, with Jasmine Powell, Sara Scalia, Gadiva Hubbard and Alexia Smith all receiving consistent minutes. We will have to wait and see what kind of role Borowicz will have for the rest of the season.

“It was difficult to leave my high school career unfinished, but the uncertainty of this year is what helped me make my decision. I love the game of basketball and I’m very grateful for this opportunity. I’m going to take advantage of the extra time I get with this amazing team.”

Borowicz is expected to wear No. 23 for the Gophers, as they’re slated to travel to Madison, Wisconsin, to take on the Badgers at 2 p.m. Sunday.

“We know Katie has the ability to score and create assists at an elite level. We are looking forward to her providing depth in our backcourt,” Whalen said.