Gabel leaving UMN

The University of Minnesota president of four years announced she will become the 19th Chancellor at the University of Pittsburgh effective July.
University+of+Minnesota+President+Joan+Gabel.+Photo+courtesy+of+Eric+Miller.+
University of Minnesota President Joan Gabel. Photo courtesy of Eric Miller.

University of Minnesota President Joan Gabel announced in a systemwide email Monday she will be leaving the University after starting as its first woman president in 2019. 

Gabel informed the University’s Board of Regents on Monday morning that she is set to become the University of Pittsburgh’s 19th and first woman chancellor, beginning in July. In fall 2021, the University of Pittsburgh’s undergraduate enrollment was just under 20,000. 

Gabel’s base salary at the University of Pittsburgh will be $950,000, according to reporting from Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. The University of Pittsburgh increased tuition 3.5% for in-state students and 5.5% for out-of-state students during the 2022-23 academic year. 

The University of Pittsburgh’s previous chancellor, Patrick Gallagher, announced his resignation in April 2022. Gallagher’s base salary was $698,202. 

While Gabel did not attend the University of Pittsburgh, she did earn her bachelor’s degree in philosophy from Haverford College in Haverford, Pennsylvania. The Post-Gazette reported Gabel has a child enrolled at the University of Pittsburgh though. 

Gabel’s December 2021 contract stipulates she is able to resign before the end of her contracted term, which would have ended June 30, 2026, if she provides the University with a written notice at least 90 days before leaving.

“It has been especially humbling to together navigate one of the most impactful and consequential chapters in the University’s 170-year history,” Gabel said. “As your president over the last 1,300-plus days, it has been the utmost privilege to witness this Minnesota spirit through every storm and season.”

Gabel said in the email although she has “mixed emotions” about her new position, serving as the University’s president has been the “greatest honor” of her career. 

To our students, faculty and staff, our passionate supporters and alumni across our state and around the world, and to our Board of Regents and its leader, Chair Ken Powell, it is because of our shared work that we have elevated and strengthened the University System, ensuring …  the University of Minnesota’s best days lie ahead,” Gabel said.

Gabel said she is looking forward to working with the board on a smooth transition for her departure.

Powell sent a systemwide email Monday shortly after Gabel’s email to express his gratitude to Gabel for her work as the University’s president.

“I have great confidence that the University of Minnesota is on the right path thanks to the work and commitment of our faculty, staff, leaders, and students,” Powell said. “Our dedication and innovation has helped us weather past challenges and this moment will be no different.”

Powell said the board will have more information in the coming weeks on plans for an interim president as well as the hiring process for a new president. At a virtual press conference Monday afternoon, Gabel said University administration has not decided her official departure date. 

Regent Darrin Rosha said in a tweet Monday the whole board “must be the search committee” for the University’s next president instead of “a few insiders.”

Gabel and the board have come under public scrutiny over the past year.

In December 2021, Gabel received a new contract from the University, which included a nearly $650,000 annual salary that increased each year through June 2026. This was in addition to retirement benefits and annual bonuses of up to $100,000.

Many people decried a conflict of interest connected to Gabel’s new contract in July 2022 when the board appointed former regent David McMillan as the interim University of Minnesota-Duluth chancellor following a failed search.

Most recently, Gabel was criticized for accepting a position on Securian Financial’s board of directors in January, which she ultimately resigned from shortly after. Gabel said at Monday’s press conference she began conversations with the University of Pittsburgh before she accepted the Securian board position. Securian Financial is headquartered in St. Paul and out of its 10 current board members, only three reside outside of Minnesota.

“It’s been the honor of a lifetime to serve as president, I’m grateful,” Gabel said at the press conference. 

This is a breaking news story and will be updated. 

Maya Marchel Hoff contributed to this report.